Mexican Pork Stew
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green pepper - chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 jar (16 ounces) green salsa
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chilies
- 2 to 3 cups cooked and shredded pork roast
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) white hominy - rinsed and drained
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Diced avocados
- Diced fresh or pickled jalapeño peppers
- Chopped radishes
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped scallions
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large soup pan.
- Add onion, celery, and green pepper and cook about 5 minutes or until they start get soft.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add cumin, oregano, 4 cups chicken stock, salsa, green chilies, pork and hominy and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If too thick, add more stock or some water.
- To serve, ladle stew into bowls.
- Squeeze a little fresh lime juice on top!
- Put all the toppings out let everyone spoon on their favorites.
I make my Green Chili Pork Roast and use the leftovers to make this.
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.03g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 382mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 163IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.