Slow Cooker Venison Stew
- 2 pounds venison or beef stew meat - cut in 2-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup dry white or red wine
- 4 carrots - diced
- 1 onion - sliced
- 4 potatoes - quartered
- 3 cups beef stock
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Season the venison or beef well with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- You may need to do this in batches.
- Then put it into a slow cooker.
- Pour wine into the skillet that you just cooked the beef in and bring it to a boil, scraping up brown bits from the beef.
- Pour that mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Dump the vegetables and the stock into the slow cooker. Cover.
- Cook on low 5-6 hours or until the meat is falling apart and the vegetables are tender.
- To thicken stew, you can remove a couple cups of the cooking liquid, whisk in a tablespoon or two of flour and heat on the stove to a boil.
- Then add it back to the slow cooker.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 1007mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 28IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 5mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.