Irish Beef Stew
Irish Beef Stew
- 2 to 3 pounds Beef stew meat
- 1 envelope Dry beef onion soup mix
- 1/2 tbsp Black pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Beer or 1 1/2 cups water
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Chopped green onions - cut into chunks
- 2 cups Peeled baby carrots
- 4 Stalks celery - cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 can (28 ounces) Diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 to 6 Medium sized potatoes - cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup Quick cooking tapioca
- Place the beef in the slow cooker.
- Add beefy onion soup mix and pepper and toss with the beef.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- If stew gets too thick you can add some beef stock or water.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 500mg | Potassium: 977mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4458IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 4mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
This doesn’t turn out like the stew pictured. The meat doesn’t brown that well.
I questioned the 1 T. of pepper so I added 2 tsp. which is 2/3 of a tablespoon, and it’s still so hot.
I’d add a 1/2 tsp. if I make it again. I thought the richness of the sauce would hide the tomatoes, but not so. I told my husband to pick them out since he doesn’t like them.
I should have crushed them in order to disguise them. We have tons left, I’ll be eating stew for a long time.
Thank you for posting this recipe! We made this in lieu of corned beef and cabbage this year at my family’s restaurant. We followed the recipe to a T, including using the beer as the liquid. I don’t drink alcohol myself, so the beer was a bit overpowering, however, we sold out of the stew. It was a big hit!
can i make your slow cooker mac and cheese in the oven ? if so what temp and how long. thanks.
Thanks Julie! So glad you liked it! By the way I usually use 3 pounds of beef and 6 potatoes and it serves at least 8. Thanks! -Amy
just made this on monday.. was great and the house smelled wonderful.
making your slow cooker mac and cheese for supper tonight.. thanks amy for
your wonderful recipes.
How many servings does this recipe make?
Best stew recipe ever! I heard you on WPR and had to try the recipe. I wasn’t disappointed.
Looks and sounds yummy.
Amy, made this this Sunday and it went over really ell. The smell of the house when we returned form church was heavenly, then digging in at supper time . . . . well . . . . . YUMMY! Better than my mom’ beef stew, sorry Mom!
I’m so glad you liked it! Thanks for sharing, Amy! -Amy