- 1 cup onion - finely diced
- 1 cup celery - fined diced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped corned beef
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut - drained
- 3 cups half and half
- 3 cups Swiss cheese - shredded
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- Chopped Italian parsley
- Rye bread or rye croutons
- In a large soup pan, cook onions and celery in butter until tender.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add flour and cook for another minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, whisking often until it starts to thicken.
- Turn down the heat a bit and stir in half and half, sauerkraut and corned beef.
- Add Swiss cheese a handful at a time. Whisk until cheese is melted.
- Add ketchup and relish.
- Taste to see if a little more salt and pepper is needed.
- If the soup gets too thick, add a little more stock, half and half, or milk.
- Serve with parsley on top.
Great with rye bread for dipping or with rye croutons on top!
Calories: 766kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 167mg | Sodium: 1501mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1524IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 981mg | Iron: 3mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.