I love the holidays! I really do! But let’s face it… making a big holiday dinner can be super stressful! Don’t let that happen to you this season. My game plan for a great holiday season is to get as much done ahead as possible and use my secret weapon, my slow cooker!
You can use your slow cooker for more than just chili and pot roast. This year why not make the stuffing in your slow cooker? Turns out perfect every time, and it’s so easy! It also frees up oven space so that your turkey, ham, and other side dishes will fit in. This year your stuffing can be all done ahead of time, plus it will stay nice and warm in your slow cooker! Yes, love that!
Okay, let’s get cooking! Here’s my favorite way to do stuffing!
First of all, chop your veggies. You need about 2 cups each of diced onion and celery. I like to dice them up into pretty small pieces, but that’s up to you.
Then, get out a skillet and melt your butter in it. Add the onion and celery and sauté veggies for about 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat until they just start to soften up a bit.
Pour your stuffing right in the slow cooker or into a really big bowl. Add the sautéed onions and celery, and the poultry seasoning. Pour 3 to 4 cups of chicken stock over the stuffing. Stir to combine.
Line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner or spray it well with cooking spray. Add the mixture to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Stir it every once in a while. If too dry, add a bit more stock. Serves 6 people, depending on the serving size. If you are having a big crowd, go ahead and double the recipe.
Here’s the full recipe. Feel free to pin it or print it for later!
Slow Cooker Stuffing
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 12 ounces seasoned stuffing cubes (1 bag)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 to 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3 to 5 cups chicken stock
- Melt butter in a skillet and sauté onion and celery for 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Place stuffing cubes a crockpot that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with a slow cooker liner. Add onion and celery and 2 to 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning.
- Pour in 3 cups chicken stock to moisten. If it's too dry add more stock if needed. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours.
- Stir every once in a while. If too dry, add more stock. It should be moist! Also taste to see if more poultry seasoning is needed. Stir in fresh chopped parsley before serving .
- Having a big crowd or want lots of leftovers? Go ahead and double the recipe! If you double the recipe I mix in a big bowl and then place in the crockpot. Sometimes I'll add 1/2 to one pound cooked crumbled sage breakfast sausage to the stuffing cube mixture before cooking. Like mushrooms? Add 1 to 2 cups chopped mushrooms and sauté them with the onions and celery.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.