Quick Ham and Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 to 3 cups diced ham
- 6 to 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 cans (15 1/2 ounce each) great northern beans - drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or dill - optional
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add celery and onion.
- Sauté for about 4 minutes, or until they just start to soften.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add ham, potatoes, beans and 6 cups stock. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- You can use a potato masher to mash up beans to thicken a bit if you like.
- Taste to see if more salt and pepper is needed.
- If too thick add more chicken stock. Serve in bowls with fresh parsley or dill on top
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 595mg | Potassium: 495mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 276IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.