Quick Cream of Tomato Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Finely diced onion
- 2 to 3 cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 can (28-ounces) Crushed tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups Chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese - optional
- 1/4 cup Fresh chopped basil - optional
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large soup pot.
- Add onions and cook a few minutes stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, stirring constantly to avoid burning the garlic.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 3 cups chicken stock.
- Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and and let simmer another 4 to 5 minutes.
- If too thick, add a bit more stock.
- Great served topped with a little Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
I love to serve this with my Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for dunking! You can also cut off the crusts and cut the sandwiches into bite sized pieces to make grilled cheese croutons to float on top of the soup. Delish!
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 236mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 811IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.