Nana’s Lemon Meringue Pie
- 4 Egg whites
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- In a medium size sauce pan add cornstarch, flour, sugar and salt.
- Add 2 cups water. Whisk together. Over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Stir one minute and remove from heat.
- Stir some of the hot mixture into beaten egg yokes.
- Next, add all of the yolk mixture back to the sauce pan.
- Cook over a low heat 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, zest and butter.
- Spoon lemon mixture into the pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Beat egg whites with cream of tartar at medium speed.
- Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar at high speed until peaks.
- Spread on top of pie.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes until top is brown.
If you don’t have cream of tarter, it’s not a big deal. Just add a tiny bit of lemon juice to the egg whites.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 134IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.