Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Finely diced onion
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 3 to 4 cups Chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 pound Cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/4 cup Dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- 2 cups Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 3 Scallions - chopped
- 1 cup Croutons
- In a large soup pan, cook the onions in the butter until they start to get soft.
- Stir in the flour. Cook a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Add 3 cups chicken stock, cauliflower, salt, mustard and wine.
- Bring to a boil, whisking often.
- Turn down heat and let the soup simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Puree the mixture using a hand blender, or let cool a bit and puree in a blender.
- Return the soup to the pot. Stir in cream. Heat until just warm. Don’t boil.
- Stir in the cheese a handful at a time.
- If soup is too thick, add a bit more chicken stock.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a little extra cheese, some scallions and croutons on top if you like.
Calories: 481kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 892mg | Potassium: 526mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1333IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 354mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.