Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced carrots - optional
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 to 8 cups Half-and-half or whole milk - divided
- A few dashes hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chopped Italian parsley, chopped scallions, crumbled bacon, croutons or popcorn for garnish - optional
- In large soup pot, melt butter.
- Cook onion, celery, carrot, and garlic until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour, whisking constantly until well combined.
- Add beer and stock, whisking constantly, then add 6 cups half-and-half or milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add hot sauce, mustard and Worcestershire.
- Add cheese, a handful at a time, whisking until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add heavy cream. If too thick, stir in more milk or half-and-half.
- Taste and adjust for salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Serve in bowls.
- Fun to garnish with chopped parsley or scallions, crumbled bacon and croutons or popcorn if you like.
Calories: 1248kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 106g | Saturated Fat: 63g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 27g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 313mg | Sodium: 1134mg | Potassium: 729mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 8674IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 1146mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.