Slow Cooker Apple Oatmeal
Slow Cooker Apple Oatmeal
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 apples - cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 to 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter - optional
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Coat inside of a 3 quart slow cooker with cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- Dump in all ingredients. Stir well, cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Great as is but we like to dress it up with fun toppings like extra brown sugar, vanilla yogurt, nuts, and raisins.
- You can double the recipe and do this in a larger slow cooker.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
- To reheat single servings, put about a cup of the cooked oatmeal in a microwave proof bowl.
- Add about 1/3 cup of milk.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir.
- Continue cooking for another 30 to 60 seconds, or until hot.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 325mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Amy, love your show. Can you just make it with brown sugar and cinnamon?
Hi Nina. Yes, you could leave out the apples. No problem! -Amy
I would say this serves 4. I do usually double it and reheat the leftovers during the week in the microwave. Hope that helps. Thanks! -Amy
How many servings does this recipe yield? I’m trying to decide to double or triple it! Thank you!
Yes, you can use regular oats, just not the quick cooking kind. Steel cut oats are supposed to be better for you and are just cut a different way and take longer to cook. So, if you are usig regular Quaker Oats, up the water to 2 1/2 cups. That should work fine. Other fruits you can add are dried cherries, cranberries or raisins. Hope that helps! Thanks! -Amy
I dont have steel cut oats at home, can I use old fashion Quaker Oats?
Tried the steel oats for the first time. Delicious. Hubby who usually doesn’t care much for oatmeal, went back for seconds. This will be the new breakfast cereal.
You may need a bit less liquid if using regular rolled oats instead of steel-cut. Has anyone tried this? Steel cut I believe absorb more liquid and require additional cooking time.
What are steel-oats? Can i use quaker oat meal?
Maybe a stupid ? But what is steel- oats. Can i use the quaker oat meal?
I think next time I’ll use a bit less water…mine came out a little overdone. Overall, so delicious! I loved not having to worry about preparing anything in the morning.
Bobbi, as far as fruit goes you can put anything in a slow cooker that you would normally put in. Berries would probably taste wonderful! They’ll reduce down in the heat, but they do that anyway when you mix them in to normal oatmeal. Bananas would also be good!
I would like to make this for my girls but they can not have apples. What other fruit could i add to the slow cooker?
YUMMO! Love the way it smells when it’s ready, love how it tastes. Thanks Amy.