Mashed Potato Soup
- 3 slices bacon - chopped into small pieces (optional) Save some drippings. You can also use 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil instead of the bacon and bacon drippings.
- 1/2 cup onion - finely diced
- 2 stalks celery - finely diced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 4 to 6 cups prepared mashed potatoes (leftovers work great)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream - optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese - optional
- Scallions or chives, chopped - optional
- Sour cream - optional
- In a large soup pan, fry bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Leave a couple tablespoons of bacon drippings in the pan.
- If not using bacon you can use 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil.
- Cook celery and onions in the drippings until they start to get soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of milk and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and half of the crumbled bacon.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1/4 cup heavy cream.
- Taste to see if a little more salt and pepper is needed.
- If mixture is too thick, add a little more milk or cream.
- Serve soup in bowl with scallions, remaining crumbled bacon, sour cream and cheddar cheese on top!
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 251mg | Potassium: 710mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 348IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 1mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.