Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pound asparagus - chopped into small pieces
- 1 to 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pan, sauté onion in butter for about 4 minutes or until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add flour and cook for a minute or two stirring often.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock.
- Whisk to combine with flour.
- Bring to a boil, whisking often. Turn down heat. Add asparagus.
- Simmer about 4 minutes or until asparagus is just tender.
- Remove from heat. Let cool a bit.
- Remove about a cup of the chopped asparagus and set aside.
- Puree the rest of the mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture back in the soup pan. Heat. Add 1 to 2 cups cream.
- Add reserved chopped asparagus.
- Taste to see if more salt and pepper are needed.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1177IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.