Southwest Turkey Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 green pepper - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 6 to 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 2 to 3 cups cooked turkey - diced or shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) black or pinto beans - rinsed and drained
- Lime Wedges - optional
- Your favorite chili toppings like chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, and diced avocado
- Heat oil in large soup pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and peppers and cook a few minutes until they start to get soft.
- Stir in garlic and cook another 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
- Stir in 6 cups chicken stock, tomatoes with juice and green chilies.
- Bring to a boil. Turn down heat a bit.
- Add turkey, corn, and beans and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- If soup needs more broth add more chicken stock.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
- Great with a little sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, diced avocados, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice on top.
Calories: 505kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 781mg | Potassium: 1161mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1095IU | Vitamin C: 64mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 5mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.