Terrific Tuna Casserole
Terrific Tuna Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine - optional (you can use water)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas - (optional)
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) albacore tuna packed in water - drained well
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups slightly crushed potato chips
- 16 ounces egg noodles - cooked al dente
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large soup pot melt the butter.
- Cook onion and celery in the butter over medium a few minutes until the vegetables start to get soft.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add mushroom soup, milk and wine.
- Whisk and stir and heat until smooth
- Add tuna, noodles and peas
- Stir and coat with the sauce
- Spoon into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray and top with shredded cheese and potato chips.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 821mg | Potassium: 530mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 807IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 410mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
I’ve made it with tuna and chicken. It’s my families favorite casserole and wonderful to take to a bereaved family after a death. My kids call it the “funeral” casserole. When making it just for us I throw in fresh mushrooms and black olives. Fabulous!
Made this last night and I really liked it. I used a nice regular potato chip topping. I almost didn’t because I don’t really care for crunchy top on this dish but I’m glad I did. So in summary I made without the wine, I didn’t have garlic salt so I used powder, I also added the tuna water to the mix when I was softening the vegetables to make up for the missing liquid, added some mushrooms and finally I only had one can of cream of mushroom so I also used a can of cream of celery. So not major changes at all and it was great. I couldn’t stop eating it and it will be in my lunch kit for work too.
Can I make this without the cheese?
Sure Liz. Just leave it out. It will still be delicious! -Amy
What is the serving size for this meal?
Hi Bry. This will serve 6 to 8. It’s the best! -Amy
Wish the printing of your great recipes was easier.. doesn’t have a “print friendly” button that prints a PDF with picture… Otherwise love your recipes
I will see what I can do about that. This is a first. When I print, it prints really easily and there is a print button. But, I will check on this with my web person. Thanks! -Amy
Since my husband does not like cream of mushroom soup I use cream of celery instead. Tastes great.
What a great dish! Especially the next day after the flavors get to blend together…