Perfect Pot Roast
- 3 to 4 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- A few teaspoons garlic salt
- A few teaspoons black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red or white wine
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 4 to 6 stalks celery - cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 to 8 cups assorted vegetables such as peeled potatoes, carrots, parsnips - cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Sprinkle meat generously with garlic salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet.
- Brown roast for a few minutes on all sides.
- Remove roast to a plate. Add more oil if needed.
- Add onion and celery to pan and cook for a minute or two.
- Add beef stock and wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Place roast back in the dutch oven, or place roast in an oven-proof pan along with the stock and onion, and celery.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Roast, covered, for 2 to 3 hours or until beef starts to get very tender.
- Place the extra vegetables around roast.
- Roast for another 50 to 60 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to platter.
- For gravy, whisk together the cold water and flour until well combined; add the pan juices.
- Cook, whisking until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- You can also add a bit of browning sauce if gravy needs more flavor.
- Serve gravy with meat and vegetables.
Calories: 764kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 68g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 233mg | Sodium: 405mg | Potassium: 1641mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 53IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 8mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.