- 4 to 5 pound beef chuck roast
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 to 6 cups beef stock
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1 packet (1 ounce) dry onion soup mix
- Crusty sub rolls
- Season roast with garlic powder and pepper.
- Place roast in slow cooker.
- Dump the rest of the ingredients over the roast.
- Put the cover on and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until it falls apart.
- Shred the beef.
- Serve beef on rolls with the warm au jus for dipping.
- You can also make this in a Nesco roaster. Roast at 350 degrees for 4 hours or until tender.
- You can bake beef roast in your pre-heated 350 degree oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until tender and beef shreds easily.
- If baking in oven cover roast with foil or bake in covered Dutch oven.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 413mg | Potassium: 521mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 16IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 3mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Which recipe do you and your kids like better. The hot beef or the French dip? And why?
Hi Billie. That’s a tough one. We love them both. The Hot Beef is more of a gravy, while the French Dips have an au jus. Thanks! -Amy
instead of a chuck roast can you use a sirloin roast like a Festival spoon roast. I would just slice it before putting it in the crock pot.
Hi Lori. Yes! A spoon roast should work! No need to slice it. -Amy
Cooking it tonight. How long does it take to melt the cheese.
Yes, Carol, you can do this in the oven too! I would increase the beef stock to 8 to 12 cups and bake in a covered dutch oven or cover in foil in a roasting pan at 300 degrees for 4 to 5 hours or until tender.
I do not have a slow cooker and was wondering if the French Dip could be made in the regular oven? If yes, what temperature would you recommend? Thanks.
Hi Pat. Just make sure you get a nice big 6 or more pound roast or two 3 pound roasts and use 6 to 8 cups chicken stock and you should have enough for 12 people. You can cut meat up a bit if the big roast doesn’t fit in the slow cooker. Thanks! -Amy
Amy, How many do you think this will serve. I am having company off and on through the holiday week. Thinking this one would be a good one on days we leave for outings and come back for dinner instead of eating out. I know my kids will also be joining in..so thinking I will be having at least 10-12 people here at these gatherings. thanks pat