Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- 1 box (16.25 ounces) Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese - softened
- 1 stick butter - softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 24 fresh cherries or maraschino cherries with stems
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs.
- Use a mixer and beat on low speed for 30 seconds and then beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter about 1/4 cup of batter into paper-lined muffin cups.
- Place a teaspoonful of pie filling in the center of each cupcake.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 18 to 22 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- In another bowl, use a mixer and beat together cream cheese and butter.
- Add vanilla extract. Beat in powdered sugar. Continue beating for a few minutes, until light and creamy.
- Use a piping bag with a tip or a knife to frost cupcakes.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving top each with one cherry.
- Refrigerate the remaining pie filling for another use.
- Makes about 2 dozen.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.