Cheesehead Mac n’ Cheese
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Finely diced onion
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Beer
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 5 cups Shredded cheddar cheese - divided
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 2 dashes Hot sauce
- 1 box (16 ounces) Elbow macaroni - cooked al dente
- 1 pound Bacon - cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Crushed pretzels or 1/2 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- Melt butter in a large non-stick pan.
- Cook onion in butter over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour, stirring for a minute or two until well combined.
- Add beer and milk, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a boil. When it starts to thicken, turn down heat.
- Add mustard, garlic salt, pepper and 3 cups of cheese a handful at a time.
- Whisk until cheese is melted.
- Add hot sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in macaroni and bacon.
- Spoon into a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of cheddar cheese and the the Parmesan and pretzels.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Calories: 785kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 1344mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 894IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 670mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.