Spice Up Your Mac and Cheese!
Kids love it. Adults crave it. Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food! Food trends come and go but it seems like macaroni and cheese is here to stay. These days mac and cheese is going a little upscale. You can make the classic dish a little fancy by mixing in all sorts of yummy things from lobster to shrimp and so much more. Why not spice things up a bit? I’m pretty excited about my new Cajun Mac and Cheese recipe! It’s got andouille sausage in it. My secret ingredient is Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend. It’s brand new! It’s full of flavor but, don’t worry because it’s not too spicy! I’m teaming up Tony Chachere’s to help get the word out about this great new salt free seasoning. Kick up the flavor without salt on everything from burgers to chicken and shrimp. It’s what makes my Cajun Mac and Cheese so amazing! So, skip the boxed stuff and make this instead. You won’t believe how easy it is.
Okay, throw on your apron and let’s get cookin’! Here’s how to make my Cajun Mac and Cheese. By the way you can click Cajun Mac and Cheese for my complete and printable recipe.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Get a big pot of water boiling on the stove. Add one pound of elbow macaroni. Boil for 7 to 8 minutes until just al dente, meaning don’t over cook it. It should still be a little bit firm because remember the pasta is going to cook in the oven too. Drain your pasta but don’t run water over it. While the macaroni is still hot put it in a really big bowl and toss it together with 3 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend.
Now, while your macaroni is boiling, slice up your andouille sausage into half moon pieces. Get out a large skillet and fry the sausage for a few minutes over medium heat until it just starts to get a little browned. Add 1/2 cup sliced green onions and cook another minute or two until the onions start to soften. Then, remove the skillet from the heat.
In another bowl whisk together 3 eggs with 1 cup of sour cream and 3 cups of milk. Whisk it until it’s nice and smooth.
Mix into the macaroni 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and the egg mixture. Now it’s time to mix in the sausage and onions. Stir well.
Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish really well with cooking spray. Spoon the macaroni mix into your casserole dish. You can also bake this in a big cast iron skillet or mini cast iron skillets. They are super on trend right now!
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top.
In another bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of melted butter with 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons dried parsley. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the cheese. Finally sprinkle a teaspoon or two more of the Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend over the top.
Put this bad boy in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until it is bubbly and the top is golden. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. Ooey, gooey, creamy mac and cheese with just the right amount of kick to it, and that yummy andouille sausage is in there too! If you can’t get to New Orleans, this is the next best thing! Why not make this for dinner tonight? Click Cajun Mac and Cheese for my complete and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Cajun Mac and Cheese
- 14 ounces andouille sausage - cut into half moons
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions - divided
- 16 ounces hot cooked elbow macaroni - cooked al dente and drained well
- 4 tbsp butter - divided
- 2 tbsp Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend - plus 1 to 2 teaspoons for the top
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups milk
- 5 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown andouille sausage over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until it just starts to get a bit browned.
- Add 1/2 cup green onions and cook another minute or two until the onions start to get soft.
- In a large bowl toss the hot cooked pasta with 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Add 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere’s No Salt Seasoning Blend to the macaroni.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, and milk until smooth.
- Next, mix into the macaroni 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese and the egg mixture.
- Stir in sausage and onions. Stir well to combine.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon macaroni mixture into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 cups of cheese over the top.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In another bowl mix together melted butter with panko breadcrumbs and dried parsley.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on top of casserole.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of the seasoning blend over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Top with 1/4 cup fresh chopped green onions.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.