Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Finely chopped onion
- 1 cup Finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup Finely diced celery
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 2/3 cup Quick-cooking barley
- 6 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Dry sherry - optional
- 2 tbsp Chopped flat leaf parsley - optional
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Cook onion, carrots, and celery for a few minutes until they just start to soften.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook another minute stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add dried herbs, barley, and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in sherry if desired.
- Serve in bowls with parsley on top.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3781IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.