Mushroom Barley Soup
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Finely chopped onion
- 1 cup Finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup Finely diced celery
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 2/3 cup Quick-cooking barley
- 6 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Dry sherry - optional
- 2 tbsp Chopped flat leaf parsley - optional
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Cook onion, carrots, and celery for a few minutes until they just start to soften.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook another minute stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add dried herbs, barley, and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in sherry if desired.
- Serve in bowls with parsley on top.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3781IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Hi Judy. My only concern with doing it in the crockpot is overcooking the barley. I think it would work fine as long as it’s not left in there all day. Maybe just a few hours. If you try it, please let me know. Thanks! -Amy
Do you think this could be made in the crockpot?
Yes I think brown rice would be great in this soup. If it gets too think just add some more stock. Thanks! -Amy
I have everything but the barley, can I substitute brown rice instead? Can’t make it to the store till Tuesday and want to use the fresh mushrooms I have now.
Thanks for sharing Jenine! I’m so glad you liked it! Amy
Thank you! I made it yesterday and it was delicious!
Hi Jenine. I would say this serves 4 to 6. Hope that helps! Thanks! -Amy
How many servings does this make?