- 1 whole chicken cut up or 4 to 6 bone-in chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 10 to 12 cups cold water
- 4 cups carrots - diced
- 4 cups onions - diced
- 4 cups celery - diced
- 4 to 6 cups potatoes, peeled and diced - optional
- 4 cups cabbage - shredded
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots, peas)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
- 1 large (46 ounces) V-8 or regular tomato juice
- 4 to 8 cups extra chicken stock - optional
- Juice from half a lemon
- A few dashes soy sauce or salt and pepper - optional
- Place chicken in a large soup kettle.
- Add chicken soup base.
- Add cold water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Skim the top. Remove chicken. Let cool a bit then then de-bone and shred.
- Add the diced carrots, onions, and celery and potatoes to the soup kettle.
- Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Next add cabbage, canned tomatoes, mixed vegetables, Lawry’s seasoning salt, tomato juice, and shredded chicken.
- Simmer another 30 minutes.
- If soup gets too thick add additional chicken stock.
- Stir in fresh lemon juice at the end.
- If the broth needs more flavor add a few dashes of soy sauce or a little salt and pepper.
During cooking, it will be necessary to add water to keep meats and vegetables covered. Make it as thick or as thin as you like it with water.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 1596mg | Potassium: 1431mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6550IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 3mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.