- 5 to 6 fresh brats - casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 1 green pepper - chopped
- 1 yellow pepper - chopped
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if you can take the heat!)
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans - drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans - drained
- Cooked hot spaghetti noodles (optional)
- In a large soup pan brown the sausage, until it’s crumbly and no longer pink.
- Add onion and peppers, cook a few minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and red pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and beer and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you like, place spaghetti noodles noodles in the bottom of each bowl.
- Ladle chili over the top.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream and green onions or your favorite chili fixin’s on top.
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1678mg | Potassium: 1115mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2230IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 5mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Hi Maggie. This serves 6 to 8 easily. If serving over spaghetti noodles maybe even a couple more. Thanks! -Amy
How many servings does this recipe make?
I saw you make this on TV last week and thought — “hey, it’s definitely Chilly weather”! And what a nice twist! Hubby isn’t a big “bean” fan so was a little worried. Shouldn’t have been — this is one of the best chili recipes I have made/tasted and is going to be our stand-by for me. I’m now looking forward to more good “stuff” from the C.M. newsletter! Thanks!!!!
OH — I’m 65+ and have tasted a lot of different chilies and I really do think, up to today, this is my favorite!
Could you use brat patties? If so, about how many?
Sure Nancy. I would say 6 to 8 brat patties would be perfect. Thanks! -Amy
I made this last night. VERY good!
Thank you Christine – try the White Chicken Chili – that is really nice, one of our favorites.