Baked French Onion Soup
- 5 yellow onions - sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Sliced and toasted French bread
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large soup pan with a lid.
- Add the sliced onions.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Uncover and add sugar and a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions for another 30 to 45 minutes, stirring often until the onions are a deep brown color.
- Sprinkle onions with flour.
- Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the wine, beef stock, and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil stirring often.
- Turn down heat and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spoon the soup into to oven-safe bowls.
- Top each bowl with a piece of bread.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top.
- Place the bowls on a cookie sheet.
- Put under the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and begins to brown a bit.
Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1454mg | Potassium: 1193mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 677IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 759mg | Iron: 2mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.