Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach - defrosted and squeezed dry
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 chicken breast halves - boneless, skinless
- 3 to 4 tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tsp Greek Seasoning or oregano
- Heat butter in large skillet.
- Cook the onion in the butter for a few minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add the spinach, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté a minute or two or until any liquid in the pan has evaporated and the spinach is dry.
- Remove from the heat, cool the mixture slightly, and stir in the feta cheese.
- Lay chicken breasts on a flat surface.
- Use a knife to cut a pocket horizontally, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Season chicken including the pocket with a little salt and pepper.
- Place a few tablespoons of the spinach filling in the center of each breast.
- Secure pocket with a couple plain wooden toothpicks.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the top and season with Greek Seasoning or oregano.
- Cover and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Uncover and bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- You can also fry chicken breasts in a skillet with a few tablespoons of olive oil or grill chicken breasts about 5 to 7 minutes per side, flipping once until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 407mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 8486IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 238mg | Iron: 3mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.