Death by Chocolate Cake
Death by Chocolate Cake
- 1 package (15 ounces) devil’s food cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Whipped cream - optional
- 2 to 4 cups fresh berries - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer and beat together the cake, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs and water.
- Beat until mixed well. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into a bundt pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch.
- Cool cake a bit in the pan before you carefully flip it over on a plate.
- When completely cooled, dust the cake with powdered sugar.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream and berries.
For the holidays use Sugared Cranberries for garnish! So pretty! I love to give gifts in a jar! This is one of my favorites! In a quart jar, just layer dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, and then chocolate chips. You can use holiday chocolate chips or peppermint chips too. Screw on lid. Decorate with ribbon and attach a label that reads “Death by Chocolate Cake Mix.” Then, on the back of the label put the instructions: To prepare, pour out most of the chocolate chips and set aside. Add 1 cup sour cream, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 4 eggs, and 1/2 cup warm water to the dry mix. Use a mixer and beat until well mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon batter into a bundt pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. You can also bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch. You can dust the cake with powdered sugar. Great served with fresh whipped cream and berries.
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 442mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 227IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 4mg
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
This is my new go too chocolate cake recipe ! I had dark chocolate cake mix on hand, so used that instead of devil’s food. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
This cake was actually too much. Even my husband said the chocolate chips made it weird and were not necessary. Just too much chocolate. Will not make again. Sorry Amy.
Hi Sue. Not to worry. I get it. We love chocolate! You could totally leave the chocolate chips out! -Amy
Hi Jan. Thank you so much for sharing!! I am so glad the cake was a hit! I love it too! -Amy
I made this cake and took it to friend’s for Christmas and all I came home with was the empty cake carrier!
The best frosting i have had is made at hyvee. Its called whipped frosting. Tastes like whip cream mixed with something that makes it firmer than whip cream. Do you have a recipe for that?
Sorry Gail I don’t have that recipe but it sounds wonderful! -Amy